Friday, September 26, 2008

light bulbs and bumble bees

a couple of stories from the snider home:
So our house is really close to our neighbors house (kind of annoyingly close) - have to keep the blinds close and lights off when changing so as not to seem indecent - kind of close.
anyway - our neighbor is a sweet old widow and her driveway separates our house, but she has an apartment above her garage that she rents out. there are new renters...these renters have this habit of having friends over and then leaving the porch light on until all ungodly hours of the night. did i mention our houses were close together? our bedroom window just happens to face their apartment which means our entire room is illuminated by this ridiculous porch light.
one night, we had just had enough of waking up at three 0'clock in the morning to this stupid light. Chris went into Jack Bauer mode, grabbed his flashlight, and trekked (although not a long trek) over to their apartment, and unscrewed the bulb. the funny part - he only unscrewed it a little, so they probably think the bulb broke when really, it's just not screwed in all the way. needless to say, we've been getting good sleep - in the dark, i might add, for nearly a week! :D

Then the other day, i came home from class and was in the middle of microwaving my lunch. i saw this bee on the window sill and spent the next 5 minutes attempting to shew it (gently) out of the house. he was a stubborn little bumble bee. in the middle of my shewing i opened the microwave to stop it from cooking, and just left the microwave door open since i was a bit distracted with my little tormentor.
with cup in one hand and a papertowel to trap the bee in the cup in my other hand, i was determined to 1)NOT get stung and 2) get him OUT of MY house. well, this little guy proceeded to fly on over to the microwave and crawl into the little whole where the door latches. so he was not just in the microwave, where you cook the food, he IN the interior of the microwave - where the light bulb is. once he realized how hot that light bulb was, he wanted to get out, but couldn't figure out which way to go. (dumb bug).
so that little bumble bee DIED in my microwave, and we can't get it out. there's these stupid screws on the back so you can't take your microwave apart, and so there the bumble bee stays. any one know anything about bumble bee decomposition? should i get the bee out of the microwave or just let it burn? :D

- L


Jerolyn Bogear said...

This could only happen to you, my love. Maybe swatting and killing the bee would be a good move next time. As for decomposition, eewwwwwwww.

Paige said...

HA! Enjoyed this so muich. Talk to you soon :)